Sunday, April 03, 2005

Where do we go from here?

You may just remember the song “Baje Sargam Bankar Desh Raag”. You may also remember a little video “ek anek” with the evergreen melody “ek chiria, anek chiria…”. Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? Yeah, they are golden pieces from the Doordarshan of 12-15 years ago.

As I watched the video and heard the song, I was led to think about the fall in the depth of the general mass around me. Videos such as “ek anek” go a long way to teach toddlers the basic concept of plurality as well as the strength of unity. The melodious song and the simple cartooning also make it very attractive. The problem is that nowadays television shows only what is sold. Cartoon Network and other channels offer so much crap to children that even if such videos were shown on the television, one out of a thousand would actually end up watching it.

I don’t blame the kids for this. I blame the way they are being brought up. Being forced to learn to know and recite ABCD, before they can even say “Mummy” properly, makes them anti-academic from the day their academic life begins, i.e. probably at the age of 18 months. Apart from that, the modern marketing system offers such a lot to these children, that having a material orientation becomes simply inevitable.

And why just these little kids, look at my generation. At least in the commerce section, I can say that there is absolute and complete lack of depth. The boys and girls (or should I say the ‘guys’ n ‘gals’) are just not willing to express their thoughts and opinion on any subject of intellectual importance. I can say that my friend circle consists of the cream of the commerce department. It is not possible to find a better lot of students for friends.

Yet, at times, their orientation disillusions me. Never do I find them talking about a good book they may have read, neither do they talk about any good movies. For example, they may talk at length about a rubbish movie they saw and hated, but though everyone liked the movie ‘Black’, not once did we discuss the beauty of the movie.

I must say that the environment I live in has become artificial and adulterated. People have stopped liking purity. Look at the music these days… absolutely artificial. They don’t make any sense whatsoever … no melody, no instrumental effect, and I better not speak about the lyrics.

Ask them about Pink Floyd, the reaction … “ What’s that?” I don’t have any problem if you don’t know about it. There are millions of meaningful things I don’t know of. But yes, if someone tells me about something good that I don’t know of, I make an effort to find out more about it or try it out at least and then draw an opinion about it.

The basic problem is that people are just not willing to broaden their horizons in the right direction. Materialism is distracting them and pulling them away. Creativity is being crushed under the wheels of fast moving money. The question is – Where do we go from here?

2 comments:

chaos said...

u sound confused, dillusioned or shall I say frustrated with unequivocal surroundings...
{duh-oh)

just calm yourself down... log on to net ... search for groups/ discussion forums of your intellect, and share your ideas and thoughts...

hope that might give some directions... on where to go!

Kushal Agrawal said...

hey thanx

i think this blog is, to some extend, a step in that direction where i can put up my ideas n thoughts and share it with u ppl who visit this blog somewat regularly